If you’re reading this, there is a good chance that you have multiple internet-connected devices in your home. These devices make our lives easier, but they also make us easy targets for cybercriminals. So, whether you are connecting on social media, shopping online, or listening to music on a smart speaker, here are some cybersecurity tips for everyday use:
Social Media Safety
- We recommend keeping your social media profile set to private and only connecting with people who you know and trust.
- Don’t share anything online that you wouldn’t want to be made public. No matter how cautious you are, any information posted on social media can still fall into the wrong hands.
Watch out for posts that trick you into oversharing. For example, there are a number of popular posts that give you a silly nickname based on random personal details. These personal details, such as your first pet’s name or the year you were born, can be used by cybercriminals to guess passwords.
Online Shopping Safety
- Only shop at well-known, reputable websites.
- Only pay using a credit or debit card. Never agree to send cash or wire money to a seller.
- Shop around—not for the cheapest deal, but the safest. A website that is offering a product for a third of the price of other retailers is a red flag. Remember, if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Smart Device Safety
- Smart speakers and some smartphones have an “always listening” setting to allow you to call its name when you need assistance. We recommend turning this setting off if you don’t use it. If you do use this feature, mute the microphone any time you’re discussing sensitive information or while working from home.
- Like a web browser, smart devices keep track of your activity history. Review this history periodically to check for any unusual activity. We also recommend clearing your history on a regular basis.
Keep your devices up-to-date. Smart devices receive important security patches through software updates.
Important note – the information provided here is general advice only and has been prepared without taking in account your objectives, financial situation or needs. ARMA Insurance Brokers CQ ABN 60 096 916 184 | AFSL 233750